6 Tips for Getting the Most out of Your Rooftop or Balcony Garden
Here at Harvi, we know how important it is to connect with nature. And better yet, we know that apartment living doesn’t mean you have to compromise on creating your own green oasis.
Before we dive into getting the most out of your balcony or roof, let’s talk about some of the benefits of growing your own balcony garden.
Small space gardening can add energy and vibrance to your home, as well as increase your quality of life. Growing your own produce is a great step towards a more sustainable and healthier lifestyle. Fostering your own balcony or rooftop garden is an easy way to incorporate more fruit and vegetables into your daily diet, and it requires less trips to the grocery store for produce.
Other than a space to grow delicious and healthy fruits and veggies, your apartment balcony garden can help improve your overall health. Just as your plants need sunlight to grow, so do you! Sunlight can help lower blood pressure and increase vitamin D levels, and what better excuse to get outside than to tend to your own personal balcony garden.
But the benefits of small space gardening don’t stop just at physical gains. Exposure to nature, even on a small balcony, can do wonders for your mental health. Studies from the NHS have shown that exposure to plants and greenery can help combat anxiety and depression. Gardening also helps instill a sense of responsibility- nurturing your vegetables from seedling to the final product helps you set and achieve attainable goals. Nothing is more rewarding than literally being able to reap the fruits of your labor.
- Choose the right plants: Before starting your balcony garden, make sure you choose plants that will thrive in the amount of sunlight and the type of weather your balcony will experience. For small space gardening, container-friendly plants are ideal, such as herbs, cherry tomatoes, peppers, and lettuces.
- Water regularly: Container gardens can dry out quickly, especially in hot weather, so stay on top of your watering schedule to quench your plants’ thirst. Make sure to water frequently and thoroughly. Keep an eye on soil dryness as well to make sure you’re not underwatering or overwatering. If you’re growing in a Harvi, it’s a bit easier than that thanks to Harvi’s self-watering reservoir. With the water that Harvi stores up you won’t have to manually water your plants as frequently. With Harvi even the most forgetful of gardeners can still produce thriving veggies.
- Fertilize appropriately: Container plants need regular feeding to thrive. Choose a high-quality fertilizer that is designed for container plants. Follow the instructions on the package to make sure your plants are getting the right amount of nutrients.
- Provide proper drainage: There is such a thing as too much water, especially for your container plants. Avoid flooding your plant’s root system by ensuring your containers have drainage holes. Luckily, if you’re growing in a Harvi, the reservoir has overflow drainage holes, making it impossible to overwater your garden.
- Keep pests under control: Be aware of pests and diseases that might ravage your balcony garden. If you see any unwanted insects or growths, take immediate action to get rid of the pests to preserve your plants. Consider using natural pest control methods, such as companion planting or organic sprays.
- Enjoy your garden: Finally, take time to enjoy your beautiful garden! Set up a cozy seating area, relax in your green oasis, and be proud of the blossoming balcony garden that you’ve grown.